30 June 2012

mamma.dog.mamma.love


We recently travelled with Cora, the founder of Community Led Animal Welfare, to Rietvallei Township on the Westrand. She received a call towards midday on the Saturday about a mommy-dog who had been hit by a Taxi (muthafukka) the previous Thursday. Since then, the mommy-dog had been lying paralysed in a tiny makeshift tin kennel nursing her five (surviving) puppies.

This incident came just after the weekend of intense cold that we experienced in Johannesburg and the poor girl must have been excruciating pain and discomfort. She wasn't aggressive at all and it seemed as if she knew that we were trying to help her. While Cora dosed her up with pain medication, there were fears that her pelvis had been shattered or her spine crushed. After being taken for x-rays and tests it turned out that she had a fractured femur (better-case-scenario than spine or pelvis)and Bilary. Mommy-dog and her puppies are busy recuperating after which, hopefully all of them will be rehomed (which is a constant battle at the shelters as supply always exceeds demand).   

It's super tough seeing the extreme poverty and suffering (human and animal) in these areas. It takes me out of my comfort zone completely. However, everytime I return from a day out with Cora I feel grateful. Grateful for being able to make (a really small) difference, grateful for being able to spend time with one of the most inspiring people I've ever known, grateful for the life I have. I think I benefit more from these trips than anything I could ever hope to give back.    

No comments:

Post a Comment