05 June 2012

Coco(nut)


Last night we put our 17 year old Maltese poodle, Coco, to sleep.
Coco was originally my gran’s dog but when she passed away a few years ago, my mom brought Coco up from Cape Town to come live with us, in accordance with my gran's final wishes. Coco had been my gran’s only dog for many years and when she arrived at our home we didn’t think she would surivive for long, given her grieving over my gran. Instead Coco spent almost four years with our family.
By the time the decision was made to put her to sleep, all of us, including the vet felt that it was the best decision to be made. Coco had a long, good life and had deteriorated rapidly over the past year or so- she had become completely incontinent, deaf and blind and would spend ages standing in the corner of a room staring at the wall. She would fall off stairs, fall into the pool, fall out of her bed and wonder around in a stupor.
She was buried in my parents' garden, wrapped in her favourite blanket with a little wooden bird which we positioned to face south, towards my gran. Coco went quickly and painlessly, surrounded by those who loved her- she was much luckier than most. I’m not religious but there's a part of me that does hope that Coco is with my gran and that they’re happy to be together again...whatever form that "togetherness" may take. 
Rest in peace dearest Coconut. Rest in peace dearest Ouma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment