31 December 2011

Resolve to salve


It’s been several years since I’ve made any New Year’s resolutions. I used to be relatively pedantic about them insofar as they helped to incentivise me. They’d be quite objective goals such as getting good marks at University, getting an interview at certain law firms etc. They were geared towards academic achievements and my career.

Life has been pretty good to me this year and I feel really fortunate to be in the position I am in. Despite this, and despite my knowing better, there have been certain, small, aspects of my life which still tend to cause me a disproportionate amount of grief. Accordingly, my New Year’s resolution is to limit my exposure to certain people (and social networking sites) which make me feel bad about myself (yes, I know the old adage that “no-one can make you feel bad without your permission” but I guess I’ve granted them permission).  

In any event I feel like this "life", documented in virtual reality, has become a mad competition about whose life is the most lived, whose happiness is the happiest. I find it exhausting and unhealthy and I’ve chosen to opt-out of that “race”.

I was speaking to Ric about it all this morning and he reminded me that (as I’m ever inclined to forget in my dark moods) I have a really full life. I’m loved by the people that matter. I’m a good person. I deserve to be happy (to the best of my melancholic ability). He asked me why I give so much attention to something that makes me so damn unhappy. So simple. So true.

I’m so thankful to have Ric in my life- we make such a good team. I have an incredible family and I'm crazy in love with my hairy children. The friends I have are the friends that matter. The kind of life I'm trying to live is the life that matters.     
This is the year in which to place things in the proper perspective and to resolve to keep them in that perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment