10 November 2011

Surfacers

So, last night I went to the closing of the “I AM NOT YOU” exhibition curated by Satellite Spaces /// The Untitled Gallery. The space for this exhibition was The Mills situated at 66 Carr Street, Newtown. The exhibitions feature numerous established and emerging artists from different artistic backgrounds. Mediums vary from digital media to print, to photography to paint, to lithographs.

I had my reservations about going only because I’m flat broke and I knew this would prove an irresistible opportunity to buy a quality piece of art. As is to be expected, the opportunity arose and the impulse was irresistible. Enter Frederick Clarke and his “Surfacers”- love, and overall disquiet, at first sight. It reminds me so much of Penny Siopis’ “Pinky Pinky” series she did a few years back. Despite the two figures’ creepiness, there is a softness in their eyes and a vulnerability in their demeanour. I don’t know what they are, human or animal or a combination, but I feel protective of the figures- they force me to confront "otherness" and push me out of my comfort zone. Unsurprisingly, I continued to have a visceral reaction to the work as I strolled by it again and again.

I’ve wanted to start collecting (serious) art for a long time now but perpetually make up excuses for not buying a piece (read: forking out the cash-although I guess that the R120 000 for the Gerard Sekoto painting and the R70 000 for the Diane Victor sketch, was a bit unfeasible at this stage). Anyway, in consultation with and in partnership with Ric (read: his forking out 50% towards the price as a Christmas present) I took the plunge and purchased my first authentic (read: credible upcoming artist, non-copy, only one in existence) piece of art.

I was speaking to a friend of mine this morning and she said that when her dad was about my age he bought his first piece of art from a young and upcoming artist called William Kentridge (read: wtf?!) So, although I bought this piece out of love, striking gold on an investment opportunity would be a pretty sweet off-shoot. 

I'm so happy I finally took the plunge (read: pics to follow...)               

No comments:

Post a Comment