30 November 2011

Gratitude

Ric and I have been watching the most obscenely addictive series called “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” and “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena”. As the title intimates, the series centers on the life of Gladiators in ancient Rome. It’s as stylized as “300” and as thematically epic as “Gladiator”. It’s definitely not “high-brow” and is basically a continuous onslaught of gratuitous violence, sex and talking-in-the-third-person but, oh my, it’s so much fun.


I guess my impartiality towards the show was slightly hindered by Andy Whitfield who played Spartacus (read: drool). I’ve been really sad (way too sad given that I don’t know Andy Whitfield) to find out that he died in September this year after losing his battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It's frightening that someone who seems to be in the peak of his life and health is still, fundamentally, so fragile. What a waste of talent. And beauty. Damn. On another note, Xena is in the series (not as Xena of course, but for those of us who grew up in the nineties, Xena will never be anything other than Xena). I think some strange boyhood fantasy of Ric's was realized when he got to see Xena's boobies.

Andy Whitfield
Xena Warrior Princess
Xena sneaky under-cover Warrior Princess


No comments:

Post a Comment