02 April 2013

*BigChest*


This Easter Weekend I spent some time at my parents' house in order to undertake the massive task of sorting through thousands of photos and school memorabilia contained in "the chest" which is opened once every decade or so when we're all feeling a bit nostalgic and when we have the best of intentions to finally sort through this paper monster in order to restore some civility and chronology to our recorded lives (not that this would be in accordance with the overall tone of our actual lives.) The problem is that the contents of the chest are never sorted out because we always get side-tracked by the memories that the photos invoke, then intimidated by the sheer amount of photos that need to be sorted out, then hungry and stiff because we've been stooping over the chest for hours, and then self-pitying because there is such a big damn mess in the lounge that no-one wants to clean up. So back into the chest go the mountains of photos and drawings and awards and negatives and slides, in no particular sequence, only for everything to be hauled out again in a few years' time when the itch strikes and the discomfort and frustration of the physical endeavor is forgotten. The day did end on a high note with me, my mom and my dad sitting and sighing wistfully at lives long-past and futures undetermined. 

Here are a few of my favourite finds: 






Windhoek, Namibia circa 1986

Windhoek Namibia, circa 1987 with Kholi in her traditional Herero dress

Jesse



redneck.


Sick note from my "mom" for me to get out of Physical Training.
I trust that since this letter is still in the chest, I never tried to
hand it to the school principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment