29 July 2012

Mugh (whole green moong lentils)



I was recently given the most thoughtful present by a dear friend of mine for my birthday. It was put together so beautifully that it pained me to unwrap it- I just wanted to mount in on my fireplace and stare at it. What topped it off was the fact that the ingredients were perfectly measured to accompanying recipes (copyright of my friend's mother who has graciously allowed me to share same on my blog).




It was such an interactive and tactile gift and I loved that it was a creative process from start to finish. Oh man. So damn awesome. I've enjoyed delving into the (previously intimidating) world of spices safe in the knowledge that I'm being guided by someone who knows what they're doing. I made the Mugh (whole green moong lentils) which was delicious! 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup whole green moong lentils
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large tomato, finely chopped (or pureed)
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1.5 tsp chilli powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 dried red chilli
  • coriander leaves for garnishing 

Wash the lentils in warm water so as to remove the starch. Soak lentils in warm water for 1-2 hours. Place lentils and the onion in a pot of boiling water and cook until the lentils are finger soft (that is, soft, but not cooked). 

While the lentils are being cooked, combine the tomato, turmeric, cumin, red chilli powder, salt, ginger, garlic and lemon juice to create a tomato mixture. When the lentils are finger soft, add the tomato mixture and allow to simmer until the tomato has dissolved and a thick gravy forms and the lentils are very soft. 

In a separate pan, heat oil and fry the cumin seeds and the dried red chilli for about 2 minutes (or until the spices start to give off an aroma). I was a bit scared of the chilli so I removed the seeds in order to tone down the heat of the dish somewhat, but if you like it hot then keep the seeds in!

Add the fried spices to the lentil gravy and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and garnish with coriander.



Serve with rice or naan bread or, as I did, stuff some pitas with the lentil mixture.

*NOM*


No comments:

Post a Comment