16 April 2012

roasted.open.sandwiches

I love eating good food but I find it really difficult to commit to the whole 2 hour cooking-bonanza each time I do want to eat. So if and when something is easy, quick and healthy to make then you have my vote.



I'm going through a phase where all I want to eat is roasted open sandwiches (this phase will probably intensify over the next few weeks and result in my never being able to eat this meal again...but for now, it's freaking delicious).



I have been piling anything I can find onto the sandwiches and as such, it's a great way to get rid of those left-over, soon-to-expire, don't-know-what-to-do-with-them fridge items. Roasted tomatoes are the best as their flavour comes out in full-force and laces the rest of the toppings with a sweet, juicy tang. At the moment my favourite toppings are a combination of tofu, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, avocado (in place of tofu), gherkins, garlic and capers. If you have some spare time, marinate the tomatoes, tofu and garlic slices in some balsamic vinegar and olive oil with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.


Since the bread tends to dry out if left in the oven for too long (nevermind slice your palate to shreds), drizzle some olive oil onto the bread before adding the toppings. Add more olive oil and balsamic just before you put the sandwich in the oven. Set the oven to about 180 degrees celsius and grill for about 20 to 30 minutes.


YUM.


bursting with excitement for open sandwich #253.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment